Gestational Diabetes Course
Gestational Diabetes is a self-paced, 4-module online course designed to help you empower your patients to manage gestational diabetes throughout pregnancy and beyond. You will learn about the guidelines for screening and diagnosis, the importance of nutrition and physical activity, the use of medication, and monitoring. Additionally, you'll walk away with sound strategies for working with your patients during their pregnancy and postpartum. Each module includes in-depth patient case studies designed to help you practice what you have learned, as well as a 20-question post-test at the end of the course.
Module 1: Diagnosis and Disease State
The goal of this module is to identify the criteria and screening process for diagnosis of Gestational Diabetes Mellitus (GDM).
Module 2: The Role of Nutrition and Physical Activity
The goal of this module is to describe the role of nutrition and physical activity in the management of GDM.
Module 3: Monitoring and Medications
The goal of this module is to describe the use of medication and the purpose of monitoring in the treatment of GDM.
Module 4: Management Throughout Pregnancy and Beyond
The goal of this module is to describe management strategies for pregnancy and postpartum with GDM.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Define GDM
- Describe the pathophysiology of GDM in pregnancy
- Discuss the current recommendations for diagnosis of GDM
- Describe the role of nutrition in the management of GDM
- Outline the nutrition recommendations for GDM
- Discuss the benefits and risks of physical activity in the management of GDM
- State the physical activity recommendations for women with GDM
- Describe the benefit of and the process for self-monitoring of blood glucose in GDM
- Discuss the use of ketone testing in GDM
- Describe general recommendations for use of medication to treat hyperglycemia in GDM
- Discuss treatment for hypoglycemia in GDM
- Discuss the role of healthy coping, risk reduction and problem solving
- Outline an obstetric management plan for labor and delivery
- Describe the postpartum issues for a patient with GDM after delivery
Discounted Member price: $149.00
Nonmember price: $199.00
Bulk discounts are now offered for groups. Please note discount prices vary depending on a registrant’s status as an AADE member or non-member.
- For groups of 3-5, a 10% discount is available. The discount pricing makes the course $134.00 for AADE members, and $179.00 for non-members.
- For groups of 6-10, a 15% discount is available. The discount pricing makes the course $127.50 for AADE members, and $169.00 for non-members.
To register a bulk discount or to get pricing for groups of 11 or larger, please contact AADE’s
Member Services team at 800-338-3633 x 100 or
Please note: Course registrations are nontransferable, and registration information must be processed in the name of the individual taking the course. AADE Members cannot register a colleague to receive the Member discount.
CE Credit Information
To receive a Statement of Credit, you must review the full content of the program, complete the course evaluation and pass the post-test with a score of 75% or better. You will have two attempts to pass the post-test. Statements of Credit will be issued electronically following completion of the course, evaluation, and exam.
Learners will have 6 months to complete the entire course once registered.
Patti Geil, MS, RD/RDN, LD, CDE, FAND
Diabetes Nutrition Educator
Geil Nutrition Communications
Patti Geil, MS, RD/RDN, LD, CDE, FAND, has more than 30 years of clinical experience in diabetes care and education in a variety of settings, including diabetes and pregnancy. She is frequently invited to publish articles and speak locally and nationally on the topic of gestational diabetes. She is the co-author of "101 Tips for a Healthy Pregnancy with Diabetes", published by the American Diabetes Association. Additionally, Patti has served as the AADE representative to the International Association of Diabetes and Pregnancy Study Group (IADPSG) panel to revise the Gestational Diabetes Diagnosis and Classification Recommendations.
Laura Hieronymus, MSEd, RN, BC-ADM, CDE
Diabetes Health Specialist
DiabetesCare & Communications
Laura Hieronymus, MSEd, RN, BC-ADM, CDE, is a registered nurse currently pursuing doctoral studies in nursing practice at the University of Kentucky in Lexington, Kentucky. She is a board-certified advanced diabetes manager and certified diabetes educator in Lexington, Kentucky, with more than 25 years’ experience in diabetes care and education. Laura owns DiabetesCare & Communications and practices in the area of diabetes, metabolism, and diabetes-related disorders. Laura is recognized as a national expert in the area of diabetes and pregnancy. She has served in a number of volunteer leadership roles with the AADE and ADA and has received numerous awards at the local and national level. Additionally, she has presented a variety of professional/consumer programs/webinars as a national, regional and local speaker and has authored many articles, publications, and books, which include co-authoring "101 Tips for a Healthy Pregnancy with Diabetes"..
It is the policy of the American Association of Diabetes Educators to require that anyone who has an opportunity to affect continuing education activities content (e.g. authors, presenters and program planners) with products or services from a commercial interest with which s/he has financial relationships, discloses those financial relationship/s with commercial entities to participants. Disclosure of a relationship is not intended to suggest or condone bias in any presentation, but is made to provide participants with information that might be of potential importance to their evaluation of a presentation.
Relevant disclosures (or lack thereof) among educational activity planners and faculty are as follows:
- Patti Geil, MS, RD/RDN, LD, CDE, FAND has no relevant financial disclosures to report
- Laura Hieronymus, MSEd, RN, BC-ADM, CDE has no relevant financial disclosures to report
- Dawn Haglund, AADE, Chicago, IL, has no relevant financial disclosures to report
- Jill S. Walsh, AADE, Chicago, IL, has no relevant financial disclosures to report
The approval of this educational offering by the AADE does not imply endorsement of specific therapies, treatments, or products discussed in the presentations.