Insulin Pump Therapy Online Course
The Insulin Pump Therapy Online Course is an self-paced, 6-module online course developed for AADE by Gary Scheiner, MS, CDE.
Insulin pump therapy continues to grow in popularity among patients with type 1 and insulin-requiring type 2 diabetes. As pump technology expands, so must clinicians' understanding of this innovative mode of therapy. This course provides soup-to-nuts instruction and insight on all aspects of pump therapy, from basics to advanced concepts. Specific topics include patient training/preparation, matching patients to appropriate equipment, fine-tuning pump settings, making use of advanced pump features, safety & troubleshooting, adjustments for special populations, and the business side of implementing a pump program. All subject matter is presented in a practical and professional manner in order to maximize learning and problem soliving.
All participants will be required to pass the Final Exam with a score of 70% or better in order to receive the 7 hours of CE.
- Understand the function, components, benefits and drawbacks of insulin pump therapy
- Information on how to guide appropriate patients in making a successful transition to insulin pump therapy
- Explain how to successfully and safely manage glucose levels in patients utilizing insulin pump therapy
- Describe how to establish a business model for implementing an insulin pump program
Module 1: Pumping 101
- Why consider pump therapy?
- The basal/bolus approach
- Benefits & Drawbacks
- Components of the system
- Patient candidacy
Module 2: The "Pre-Pump" Phase
- Patient selection
- Educaitonal requirements
- Selecting a pump
- Selecting an infusion device
Module 3: Pump Initiation
- The transition plan
- Technical training
- Infusion device usage
- Safety guidelines
- Take-home instructions
Module 4: Glucose Regulation
- Basal fine-tuning
- Bolus fine-tuning
- Advanced feature application
Module 5: Life With an Insulin Pump
- Challenges of daily living
- Meeting the needs of special populations
Module 6: The Insulin Pump Practice
- Pump downloading
- Data review/analysis
- The business side of pump therapy
- Additional resources
Discounted Member price: $249.00
Nonmember price: $349.00
Bulk discounts are now offered for groups. Please note discount prices vary depending on a registrant’s status as a AADE member or non-member.
- For groups of 3-5, a 10% discount is available. The discount pricing makes the course $224.10 for AADE members, and $314.10 for non-members.
- For groups of 6-10, a 15% discount is available. The discount pricing makes the course $211.65 for AADE members, and $269.65 for non-members.
To register a bulk discount or to get pricing for groups of 11 or larger, please contact AADE’s
Member Services team at 800-338-3633 x 100 or
Please note: Course registrations are nontransferable, and registration information must be processed in the name of the individual taking the course. AADE Members cannot register a colleague to receive the Member discount.
Gary Scheiner, MS, CDE
Owner & Clinical Director
Integrated Diabetes Services LLC
It is the policy of the American Association of Diabetes Educators to require that anyone who has an opportunity to affect continuing education activities content (e.g. authors, presenters and program planners) with products or services from a commercial interest with which s/he has financial relationships, discloses those financial relationship/s with commercial entities to participants. Disclosure of a relationship is not intended to suggest or condone bias in any presentation, but is made to provide participants with information that might be of potential importance to their evaluation of a presentation.
Relevant disclosures (or lack thereof) among educational activity planners and faculty are as follows:
Gary Scheiner, Wynnewood, PA
- Speakers Bureau: Medtronic, Animas, Roche
- Consultant: Asante, Animas, Medtronic, Insulet, Roche, Tandem
- Dawn Haglund, AADE, Chicago, IL, has no relevant financial disclosures to report
- Jill S. Walsh, AADE, Chicago, IL, has no relevant financial disclosures to report
The approval of this educational offering by the AADE does not imply endorsement of specific therapies, treatments, or products discussed in the presentations.
CE Credit Information
To receive a Statement of Credit, you must review the full content of the program, complete the course evaluation and pass the Final Exam with a score of 70% or better. Statements of Credit will be issued electronically following completion of the course and exam. Upon successful completion of the entire course and the post-test, learners will receive 7 hours of continuing education credit and a Statement of Credit.
Learners will have 6 months to complete the entire course once registered.