Facilitating Behavior Change
Change is a complex process — and not just for your patients with diabetes.
As diabetes education continues to evolve from providing patients with knowledge and skills to facilitating self-care behavior choices, diabetes educators are faced with reevaluating their role and function in the educator-patient relationship. There are greater demands on today's diabetes educators to develop new skills and teaching strategies to better understand health behavior theory, what motivates diabetes patients, what createsbarriers to change, and what strategies can be employed to facilitate behavior change.
Facilitating Behavior Change is an exciting new online course that addresses the challenges today’s diabetes educators face and provides a solid foundation of core knowledge that diabetes educators need to update or refine their skills and strategies to deliver appropriate self-management training to their patients with diabetes.
- Theoretical approaches to behavior change
- The changing dynamics of the educator-patient relationship
- Selecting and using person-centered communications skills and strategies
- Developing an appropriate facilitation style
- Understanding barriers to change
- Recognizing readiness for change in their patients
- Adapting skills and strategies for one-on-one and group sessions
Available in 4 easily accessed online modules, this self-study course offers:
- Module 1: Behavior Change and Diabetes Self-Management Education
- Module 2: Skills, Styles, and Strategies
- Module 3: Using Skills, Styles and Strategies to Facilitate Behavior Change
- Module 4: Identifying and Overcoming Barriers to Change
This interactive course reinforces learning with:
- Interactive exercises
- Audio interviews with practicing diabetes educators addressing the challenges of facilitating behavior change in practice
- Video case studies
- Multiple-choice and short-answer quizzes with automatic feedback
- Pre-module self-assessments
- Post-module action plans
Discounted Member price: $150.00
Nonmember price: $200.00
Bulk discounts are now offered for groups. Please note discount prices vary depending on a registrant’s status as a AADE member or non-member.
- For groups of 3-5, a 10% discount is available. The discount pricing makes the course $135.00 for AADE members, and $180.00 for non-members.
- For groups of 6-10, a 15% discount is available. The discount pricing makes the course $127.50 for AADE members, and $170.00 for non-members.
To register a bulk discount or to get pricing for groups of 11 or larger, please contact AADE’s
Member Services team at 800-338-3633 x 100 or
Please note: Course registrations are nontransferable, and registration information must be processed in the name of the individual taking the course. AADE Members cannot register a colleague to receive the Member discount.
CE Credit Information
Upon successful completion of the entire course and the post-test, learners will receive 6 hours of continuing education credit and a Statement of Credit.