CB, LNG and COI Check Request - Expense Report
Staff and Volunteer Form
Policy and Procedures
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS: These are auto calculating Excel documents that will allow you to enter your expenses into the worksheet then print it for submission for reimbursement of expenses. Open the file by clicking on the Expense Report Form link. Once the file is open, there is no need to save the file, simply input your information and print. Upon closing the document, you will be asked whether you wish to save the changes. If you select 'Yes' a copy of the Expense Report can be saved to your computer or network drive for future reference or use. Select 'No' to close without saving a copy.
Submit the signed expense report along with any original receipts to:
Attn: Accounts Payable
200 West Madison, Suite 800
Chicago, IL 60606
PURPOSE: The purpose of this policy is to provide guidelines for reimbursement for travel and related expenses for business purposes for the American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE). This policy is in conformity with AADE Policies and Procedures manual; and meets the standards required by the Federal IRS regulations and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
GENERAL POLICY: It is AADE's policy to assume, by reimbursement or by direct payment, the necessary and reasonable expenses incurred by a member of the Board of Directors, (or designated alternate), or staff member which are directly related to activities in the current budget or approved by the Board of Directors. The types of travel and business expenses considered necessary and proper are set forth in the following paragraphs of this policy.
EFFECTIVE DATE: April 24, 2003
Reimbursement is provided for authorized expenses incurred in performance of AADE responsibilities. Expenses are authorized as provided in the current budget. Any unbudgeted expenses require prior approval of the Board of Directors, the Executive Committee, or Executive Director.
1.2 Submission for Reimbursement
Requests for reimbursement should be submitted to the appropriate staff liaison within two weeks following each meeting or incurrence of expenses.
- Expenses should be submitted on the "Expense Report" form (see attachment B.).
- Receipts are required for all expense in excess of $25.00.
- Properly submitted expense reimbursement requests will be processed within ten (10) working days.
- All requests for reimbursement not received within three (3) months of date of expense (or date of meeting, whichever is later) will not be paid by AADE.
1.3 Request for Travel Advance
Travel advances are available for members of the Board of Directors and AADE staff, if needed. Travel advances should be requested in advance by completing a "request for check" form.
Following the completion of a trip, all cash advances should be reconciled within ten (10) working days by submitting a completed "Expense Report" with all required documentation.
Any amount refundable to AADE must be attached to the "Expense Report" in the form of a personal check. DO NOT ATTACH CASH!
2.1 Air Travel
Travel arrangements should be made with the AADE designated agency and will be automatically charged to the association's account. Any reservation made through another agency for travel will be paid by the traveler with subsequent reimbursement by AADE.
The traveler will be responsible for any penalty charge imposed because of a voluntary change in airline reservations.
The account code will be provided to the traveler each time travel is authorized. The traveler must provide this information to the authorized agency before airline travel can be charged to the corporate account.
The agency will process the request, give appropriate information to the traveler, and bill AADE. The traveler will verify that the travel information is correct.
The traveler should immediately notify AADE meetings department staff of any unused travel tickets.
Any problems with the travel agency should be reported in writing to the Director of Finance.
2.2 Ground Transportation
Reimbursement is made for the most appropriate means of ground transportation to and from the airport at the point of origin and at the destination.
2.3 Use of Personal Auto
- Reimbursement is made for authorized use of a personal car on a per mile basis. The per mile rate is established annually based on IRS guidelines.
- Reimbursement is made for a rental car only if it would be the most economical method of transportation and prior authorization has been obtained.
- When travel by personal rental car is authorized as the most appropriate means of travel, all necessary expenses are reimbursed. When travel by personal or rental car for personal reasons is authorized although air transportation is available, the mileage allowance and other expenses are reimbursed only up to the cost of the applicable airfare.
- Tolls and parking while conducting AADE affairs are reimbursable expenses. Discretion should be used in determining low cost parking arrangements at airports, hotels, etc., when planning extended travel.
- Lodging expenses are reimbursable as approved on the authorization form. When necessary, due to travel, time or distance, reimbursement is authorized for the preceding night.
- Frequently, lodging at a facility will be prearranged. If the traveler elects to stay at another facility, reimbursement, including any additional local transportation costs, is made only up to the rate charged by the original facility.
- Daily meal expenditures should be reasonable so as not to be considered lavish or extravagant. More specific guidelines, when necessary, are provided prior to the business trip.
- Reasonable alcohol consumption within the meal is reimbursable. Alcohol consumption outside of the meal ("entertainment") is not. In general, only meals not provided as part of the meeting are reimbursable.
- Meals purchased for others are reimbursable only for those persons for whom AADE has responsibility for such expenses.
- Receipts are required for all meal expenditures in excess of $25.00, and submitted with expense report.
Expense is reimbursable when made for business purposes or "one call home per day", when away on AADE business. Whenever practical, calls should be made with a calling card to avoid hotel surcharges.
The following are guidelines to be used when determining tips. Before tipping additional amounts on room service or on meals with large groups, etc., please check the bill to see if gratuity/service charge has been included already. If this is so, no additional tip is appropriate.
15 - 18% meals (including room service)
10 - 15% for taxis, plus $0.50 per bag or box
$0.50 per bag or box for doorman service
$1.00 per bag or box for airport check-in service
$1.00 per bag or box for bell service
$1.00 per day for maid service
Please note: "tipping" guidelines can vary in different parts of the country.
2.8 Miscellaneous Expenses
In the event of an unusual incident, valet/laundry would be considered appropriate and reimbursable.
(Please note: in-room movies are not reimbursable) Generally, other hotel/shop charges would be considered personal and not eligible for reimbursement. Personal expenses should not be billed directly to AADE whenever possible, nor should they be presented on the expense report unless they have been billed to the association. Personal expenses billed to AADE are reimbursable to AADE at the time the expense report is submitted.
2.9 Travel Insurance
Travel accidental death/dismemberment insurance in the amount of $100,000.00 is provided when air travel reservations are made through the AADE-designated travel agency. Any additional travel insurance will not be reimbursed.