The Patti Geil Scholarship, In Memory of:
Patti Bazel Geil
MS, RD, LD, MLDE, CDE, FAND, FAADE
Patti Geil was a registered dietitian, author and Certified Diabetes Educator who enjoyed translating the science of nutrition into the art of great eating. Patti experience in diabetes education spanned over 30 years in a variety of settings from pediatrics to nutrition research, and as a member of a Recognized Education Program of the American Diabetes Association (ADA). She owned Geil Nutrition Communications, making presentations, writing nutrition articles and cookbooks and worked with diabetes and food-related media projects.
Patti earned her BS in Dietetics at Marshall University in Huntington, WV and her MS in Clinical Nutrition at the University of Kentucky. She had also completed doctoral degree coursework in Instructional Design and Media.
Throughout her diabetes career, she was an active member serving a number of roles for the ADA, American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE) and the Diabetes Care and Education (DCE) Dietetic Practice Group of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND), Patti was also a certified Fellow of the AND and a Fellow of the AADE. Patti was honored as “Dietitian of the Year” by the Kentucky Dietetic Association (2012) and the “People’s Choice Diabetes Educator of the Year” (2011) by Diabetic Living Magazine. She had previously been named the “Diabetes Educator of the Year” (2005) by the DCE Practice Group and as “Diabetes Educator of the Year” (2009) by the Kentucky Association of Diabetes Educators, a Local Networking Group of the AADE. Posthumously, Patti was honored with the Distinguished Service Award from the AADE (2015).
Patti’s work included over 75 articles for refereed journals and consumer publications. She authored twelve books, including:
Patti was a devoted wife and mother to husband Jack and daughters Kristen and Rachel.
- Magic Beans (1996)
- The White House Cookbook (1996)
- The Carbohydrate Counting Cookbook (1998)
- 101 Nutrition Tips for People with Diabetes (1999, 2006)
- Diabetes Nutrition from A to Z (2001)
- Individualized Approaches to Diabetes Nutrition Therapy: Case Studies (2002)
- Diabetes Staff Inservice and Patient Education Manual (2002)
- Cooking Up Fun for Kids with Diabetes (2003)
- 101 Tips for a Healthy Pregnancy with Diabetes (2003)
- 101 Tips for Raising Healthy Kids with Diabetes (2006)
- Diabetes Meals on $7 a Day- or Less! (1999, 2007)
- What Do I Eat Now? A Step-By-Step Guide to Eating Right with Type 2 Diabetes (2009, 2015), winner of the 2010 National Health Information Bronze Award for Patient Education.