Members of the Association of Diabetes Care & Education Specialists accept this Code of Ethics as a statement of the ethical principles of the diabetes care and education specialty. This code represents the values of the specialty and provides guidance for the ethical behavior of its members. Therefore, the diabetes care and education specialist agrees to:
- provide services that demonstrate respect for the uniqueness, dignity, and autonomy of each individual;
- conduct themselves in a manner that demonstrates honesty, integrity and fairness;
- avoid conflicts of interest;
- uphold the ethical standards set forth by the individual disciplines’ regulatory bodies.
- maintain the integrity of the specialty; and
- accept responsibility and accountability for personal competence.
Note: This code of ethics applies specifically to membership in ADCES. Members are still bound to the codes of ethics of their respective professions.