About the Program
- A detailed description of the Diabetes Educator Level 1 is in the document, Diabetes Educator Practice Levels (See Related Resources).
- The content for this program is based upon the skills and knowledge defined for the Diabetes Educator Level 1 the Competencies for Diabetes Educators: A Companion Document to the Diabetes Educator Practice Levels. (See Related Resources).
- Information about the programs is detailed in the FAQs (See Related Resources.)
Before registering for this program review all three documents for more information about the programs and to determine which program track and level is appropriate for you.
If You Register for This Program:
All the activities will be loaded to your online learning portal and will be accessible following the receipt of an automated email confirming your registration.
To access your learning portal, hover over the Login icon on the website navigation bar and select My Learning. You will be prompted to login with the email and password used to register for this program.
Diabetes Educator Level 1 Program
Schedule: There are approximately 48 hours of coursework in this program. Applicants have THREE (3) months from the date of program registration to complete all the coursework, program post-test, and program evaluation.
The continuing education (CEs) credits indicated in the coursework list below are available to nurses, dietitians, and pharmacists who successfully complete the activities. The number of credits are indicated in parentheses following the activity title. There are 46 hours of CE in this program
Price: $495 Members and $595 Nonmembers
Diabetes Educator Level 1 Coursework
- Clinical Aspects of Diabetes (6)
- Teaching and Learning in Diabetes Education (2 CE)
- Cultural Competence for Diabetes Educators (2 CE)
Recorded Webinars: (Webcasts are 60 minutes or 90 minutes)
- 2019 ADA Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes (1.5 CE)
- Zebras in the Herd: The Less Common Types of Diabetes (1.5 CE)
- Make Learning Fun: A Session Full of Ideas! (1 CE)
- Fireside Chat with Educators Who Deliver Care with Digital Health Tools (1 CE)
- Optimize Goal Setting for Better Patient Outcomes (1 CE)
- The Language of Diabetes (1 CE)
- Delaying Diabetes Through the Lifespan: A Discussion of 3 High-Risk Populations & the Challenges They Face (1 CE)
- Listen & Learn: The Perspectives of a Panel of People with Diabetes (1 CE)
- Insulin Therapy: The Next Generation (1.5 CE)
- Non-Insulin Medication Management of Type 2 Diabetes (1.5 CE)
- Concentrated Insulins: All You Need to Know (1.5 CE)
- New to Devices? Insulin Pumps & CGM Basics (1 CE)
Core Readings and Assessments (Each core reading provides 1.5 CEs)
- Diabetes Self-Management Education (DSME): The Art & Science of Disease Management
- Theoretical & Behavioral Approaches to Self-Management of Health
- The Diabetes Self-Management Education Process
- Diabetes Education Program Management
- Type 1 Diabetes Throughout the Lifespan
- Pregnancy with Diabetes
- Healthy Eating
- Being Active
- Taking Medications
- Problem Solving
- Healthy Coping
- Reducing Risks
Practice Documents Readings
- Diabetes Educator & Diabetes Paraprofessional Practice Levels
- Competencies for Diabetes Educators and Diabetes Paraprofessionals
- National Standards for Diabetes Education & Support
- DSMES in Type 2: Algorithm and Guidance