About the Program
- A detailed description of the Diabetes Educator Level 2 is in the document, Diabetes Educator Practice Levels (See Related Resources).
- The content for this program is based upon the skills and knowledge defined for the Diabetes Educator Level 2, the Competencies for Diabetes Educators: A Companion Document to the Diabetes Educator Practice Levels. (See Related Resources).
- Information about the programs is detailed in the FAQs (See Related Resources.)
Before registering for this program review all three documents for more information about the programs and to determine which program track and level is appropriate for you.
Diabetes Educator Level 2 Program
Schedule: There are approximately 70 hours of coursework in this program. Applicants have NINE (9) from the date of program registration to complete all the coursework and program evaluation.
Continuing Education: Total CE hours for the program 63. The continuing education (CEs) credits for the coursework are available to nurses, dietitians, and pharmacists. The number of credits are indicated in parentheses following the activity title.
Price: $895.00 Members and $995.00 Nonmembers
Diabetes Educator Level 2 Coursework
- Core Concepts Course Online* (22)
- Facilitating Behavior Change (6)
- DSMES Program Management (6)
- DSME Reimbursement: Essentials (2.5)
- CQI for DSMES Programs (2.5)
- Insulin Pump Therapy (7)
- Pattern Management: Combating Clinical Inertia (3.5)
- Cultural Competence for Diabetes Educators (2)
*Note on Core Concepts Course Online (CCCOL):
All Level 2 applicants will be assigned to the next available online session of the CCCOL. Please note, this is an instructor - facilitated online course that begins on a specific date and runs for 9 consecutive weeks. Click here for more details about the CCCOL, but DO NOT register for the CCCOL separately. When you register for the Level 2 program, the next upcoming session date will be included in your bundle automatically.
Required Text for Core Concepts Course Online: The Art & Science of Diabetes Self-Management Education Desk Reference. 4th Edition. This book for the program and IS NOT included in the bundle registration fee. Click the following link if you need to purchase the Desk Reference, 4th Edition.
When checking out in the shopping cart: You will see a registration page for the assigned Core Concepts Online. You must select:
Registrant Type > Preregistered
For those Level 2 registrants who successfully completed the live CCC between January 1, 2014 and December 31, 2017, please email a copy of your Statement of Credit from the live course to email@example.com to receive credit for the course in the Level 2 program. You will not need to repeat the CCC Online course. This applies only to individuals having successfully completed the live version of the course in the time-frame indicated above.
The registration fee for the live CCC will not be refunded & the certificate program price will not be prorated for the live CCC registration.
(Webcasts are either 60 minutes or 90 minutes)
- 2018 ADA Standards of Medical Care (Clinical Practice Guidelines) (1.5)
- 2018: What's on the Horizon for DM Technology, Treatments & Education (1.5)
- 2017 Revision of the National Standards for DSMES (1)
- Annual Reimbursement Update for 2018 (1.5)
- How to Be a MDPP Supplier (1)
- Integrating Hybrid Closed-Loop Technology into your Clinical Practice (1.5)
- Making Sense of Ambulatory Glucose Profile & Downloadable Data (1.5)
- Population Health Diabetes Education: Leveraging Digital Health & Pt. Generated Health Data (PGHD) (1.5)
Practice Document Readings
- Diabetes Educator & Diabetes Paraprofessional Practice Levels
- Competencies for Diabetes Educators and Diabetes Paraprofessionals
- National Standards for Diabetes Education and Support
- DSMES in Type 2: Algorithm and Guidance
- Cultural Considerations in Diabetes Management
- Management of Children with Diabetes in the School Setting
- Diabetes and Disabilities
- Special Considerations in the Management and Education of Older Persons with Diabetes
- The Role of the Diabetes Educator in Inpatient Diabetes Management
- Diabetes Educators Play a Critical Role in Successful Insulin Management
- The Role of the Diabetes Educator in Diabetes Formulary Medical Device Decisions