In case you missed the webinar on November 14-
The Revised National Standards for DSMES webinar featured speakers from the workgroup who revised the National Standards between 2016 and 2017, as well as those responsible for their respective accreditation programs at ADA and AADE.
The first speaker reviewed the process the workgroup used to make the revisions, which occurs every 5 years. Then, an overview was given of each standard, any changes, and if new language or titles were assigned to them. Lastly, AADE and ADA announced their implementation timelines.
Key changes include:
- Change from DSME to DSMES, to include support
- Change from Program to Services to allow for more individualization
- Change from Program Coordinator to Quality Coordinator to be more in line with pay for performance and outcomes-focus in new models of care
- Change from patient to participant to align with key outcomes of behavior change, not recovery from illness.
AADE Implementation schedule:
- All new applicants must use the 2017 standards beginning January 1, 2018, while all renewing and existing programs have until June 1, 2018.
ADA Implementation schedule:
- All new and renewing applicants must use the 2017 standards starting November 2017. Existing programs that are not up for renewal must be using the new standards by May 1, 2018.
Both organizations will post new information and tools to their respective websites in the coming weeks.
To get in-depth information on meeting the new standards, becoming knowledgeable about reimbursement, learning ways to sustain your services, consider attending the National Standards and Reimbursement for DSMES Boot Camp on December 8 in Las Vegas.