Maps show us what lies ahead and give us the information we need to create a plan to get there. The ADCES competencies for diabetes care and education specialists are just that, a roadmap for the specialty. They provide a point to work towards, through education, mentorship, personal development and even job creation. Use the competencies, worksheets and other tools below to create your own personal roadmap, one that will lead you, your colleagues and clients to success.
In 2020, the competencies were revised to meet the current needs and future trajectory of the specialty, with emphasis on language choice and the goals and pillars of the ADCES strategic vision. Unique to this revision, ADCES conducted a modified Delphi study to validate the updated model. The resulting competencies are divided into 6 key domains that underscore specific sets of knowledge, skills and abilities critical to the role of diabetes care and education specialists.
The purpose of this document is to:
- Serve as a master list of the foundational knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the role of diabetes care and education specialist.
- The four key times to implement DSMES services.
- Provide a framework for interprofessional practice that extends beyond disciplines
- Activate self-assessment for continual improvement of knowledge, skills and abilities
- Maintain a standard for the specialty, encouraging diabetes care and education specialists to work at the top of their scope of practice
- Inform stakeholders of the breadth and scope of the specialty.
For more information on the Dephi study used to create the competencies, download the report.
Create your own road map using these worksheets to target key areas for growth and development.