AADE National Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) Lifestyle Coach Trainings
AADE is approved by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to provide introductory, advanced, and master training for lifestyle coaches to deliver CDC-recognized lifestyle change programs. Additional information on staffing your CDC-recognized diabetes prevention organization can be found on CDC’s website.
Are you an AADE member? Scholarship applications for our in-person lifestyle coach trainings are accepted 45 days prior to each training. Learn more.
Lifestyle Coach Training (English and Spanish)
Gain the knowledge and skills you need to prevent or delay type 2 diabetes through a CDC-recognized intensive lifestyle change program. By becoming a trained Lifestyle Coach in the National Diabetes Prevention Program, you’ll enhance your professional skills as you help your organization improve population health, advance health equity, and help people with prediabetes reduce their risk of type 2 diabetes by 58%.
Through AADE’s Lifestyle Coach Training, you’ll learn all about the National DPP, describe the responsibilities of National DPP Lifestyle Coaches, and explain how an intensive lifestyle change program—like PreventT2 or Prevenga el T2—can prevent or delay type 2 diabetes. You’ll discover how to motivate participants, deliver content in engaging and culturally connected ways, encourage self-management skills, and facilitate groups committed to positive health behavior change. You’ll also gain practical skills to start your own PreventT2 or Prevenga el T2 cohort, learning from AADE’s years of experience activating CDC-recognized diabetes prevention programs within diverse communities nationwide.
AADE's In-Person Lifestyle Coach Training includes:
- A two-day training, delivered in English or Spanish, led by experienced AADE Master Lifestyle Coach Trainers
- A comprehensive overview of the PreventT2 or Prevenga el T2 Curriculum
- Essential CDC materials including the PreventT2 or Prevenga el T2 Lifestyle Coach Training Guide and Participant Guide
- Additional AADE materials that help you assess participant readiness, develop dynamic and cohesive groups, and stay on track for CDC recognition
- Hands-on practice in motivational interviewing, supporting health behavior change, facilitating self-management skills, and group facilitation
- 6 months complementary access to AADE’s Prevention Network to receive technical support, billing and coverage information, marketing templates, and more
- 12 continuing education units (CEUs) for nurses, dietitians, and pharmacists
Included with Registration—Optional Online Learning Course:
- Prevention 101: Fundamentals of Diabetes and Prediabetes, a self-paced, 5-module online program (in English)
- Modules Include:
- Module 1: The Diabetes Epidemic
- Module 2: The Role of the National DPP Lifestyle Coach
- Module 3: The Basics of Prediabetes and Diabetes
- Module 4: Prevention Therapies: Healthy Eating and Being Active
- Module 5: An Introduction to Coaching and Group Facilitation
Upcoming In-Person Lifestyle Coach Trainings (ENGLISH)
Lifestyle Coach Trainings in your Community!
Want to bring AADE to your organization, city, or state to conduct an Lifestyle Coach Training for diabetes educators, healthcare professionals, community health workers, or promotoras de salud? Complete the online form below to invite us to your hospital or health system, FQHC, or community- or faith-based organization to provide our Lifestyle Coach Training in English or Spanish.
Request a PUBLIC Training for 2019
Request a PRIVATE Training for 2019
Lifestyle Coach Training ONLINE (English only)
The online training sessions for 2019 are closed. We will be posting the dates for the 2020 online sessions in December.
If you are interested in enrolling in an online session in 2020, please email email@example.com
and we will notify you when the dates are finalized and posted on this site.
Advanced Lifestyle Coach Trainings
If you’ve already facilitated a CDC-recognized lifestyle change program, you know how challenging it can be to engage participants, keep them involved, and promote positive behavior change. As a Lifestyle Coach, you’re an essential part of your cohort’s success. In fact, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s program data demonstrate that a well-trained and highly-motivated coach has a significant impact on participants’ health outcomes. If you’re looking to improve your skills and support the success of your group, AADE is here to help!
With nearly a half century of experience in working alongside diabetes educators to advance their knowledge and enhance their skills, AADE provides several options for Lifestyle Coaches who want to take their abilities to the next level. In 2019, we’ll offer a one-day in-person training, a half-day intensive on facilitating behavior change, or a structured series of online courses. All Advanced Lifestyle Coach Training participants are required to be trained lifestyle coaches with direct experience facilitating PreventT2, Prevenga el T2, or another CDC-approved lifestyle change program and/or supporting other lifestyle coaches within their communities.
Advanced In-Person Training
Through this full-day program, experienced lifestyle coaches will develop skills to assess readiness for change, engage participants and retain them through the 12-month program, employ communications skills, styles, and strategies to facilitate behavior change, and promote participant self-management skills. Using the intensive lifestyle change program as a framework, the training will include the following topics:
- Session Zero
- Recognizing readiness to change
- Overcoming barriers and amplifying facilitators
- Utilizing motivational interviewing strategies in one-on-one and group settings
- Engage Participants through Core Sessions
- Building social capital within the group
- Addressing weight stigma and bias
- Using skills, styles, and strategies to facilitate behavior change
- Promoting self-management skills
- Retain Participants through Core Maintenance Sessions
- Assessing Social Determinants of Health
- Understanding community context and community influencers
- Making sense of incentives
- Ongoing Maintenance, Cultural Connectivity, and Other Strategies
- Tools for creating a cultural connected and responsive environment
- Referring to other healthcare professionals
AADE's In-Person Training includes:
Included with Registration:
- Cultural Competence for Diabetes Educators | This 2-hour program includes a 90-minute online presentation, short interactive knowledge checks, and two case study explorations. After completing the course, Lifestyle Coaches will be able to describe strategies to provide culturally competent care within African American, Latino, Asian American and Pacific Islander communities as well as with other emerging populations. Upon successful completion, 2 continuing education units (CEUs) are available for nurses, dietitians, and pharmacists.
Upcoming In-Person Advanced Lifestyle Coach Trainings
Price: $299 Member and $349 Nonmember
Email us at DPP@aadenet.org to be the first to learn when registration is opened
Advanced Lifestyle Coach Training Series ONLINE
Don’t have time to travel to Chicago or Houston? Not interested in inviting AADE to do an advanced lifestyle coach training in your state? Join our flexible online advanced lifestyle coach training series to complete online training coursework, and enjoy recorded webinars, that enhance your lifestyle coach training skillset. Modeled on our successful career path training for diabetes educators and paraprofessionals, our advanced lifestyle coach training series includes skill building in communications skills, group coaching, facilitating behavior change, promoting self-management, and cultural competency.
Schedule: There are approximate 7 hours of coursework in this program. Registrants have TWO (2) months from the enrollment date to complete the program.
Price: $299 Member and $349 Nonmember
Recorded Webinars: (Each webcast is 60-90 minutes)
Click Here for Registration