am getting really excited as I make my final preparations for AADE16 in San Diego. This is going to be a great meeting! I have created my checklist (I love lists) for things to do before I go. I expect many of you who are going are doing the same. Here is my list:
- Check the weather: This is an easy one. The highs temperatures are 72 to 81 and the lows are 64 to 68, there is sun every day (of course), and a few little clouds. Don’t forget to throw in a sweater or jacket for the air conditioning in the San Diego Convention Center.
- Shoes: I have my activity monitor ready to go since I know there will be thousands of steps walked each day. Don’t forget to bring along your comfortable shoes.
- Plan to meet friends: I have done some texting, emailing and calling to coordinate but generally look forward to bumping into friends and colleagues throughout the days/evenings. If this is your first annual meeting and you are going alone, don’t worry; you will make new friends in no time!
- Make my schedule: I have laid out each day so I don’t miss anything.
- Coordinating Bodies (CB) & Communities of Interest (COI) Networking Reception: This will be on Thursday, August 11 from 5 PM to 6:30 PM in Ballroom B at the Marriott Marquis & Marina. This has turned into a great event where you can connect with other AADE members from the CB in your state and neighboring states, and visit tables for all of the COIs. Don’t forget, you can be a subscriber to any and all COIs included in your annual dues so get familiar with the people and interest areas and subscribe to keep the networking going when you get home.
- Keynote Speakers at the General Sessions: I love the keynote sessions! They start early (7:30 AM) but are worth every minute.
- Educational Sessions: I am going to challenge myself by going to many in areas that are out of my comfort zone. There are great options!
- Exhibit Hall: I am looking forward to learning about new technologies and other products and services that I can use to help people with diabetes when I get home. I have blocked times to visit the booths; many times are unopposed so no sessions to miss.
- Poster Session: The posters will be in the Exhibit Hall with a Meet the Authors session on Sunday at 10 AM to 1 PM
- Social Events: This may be my favorite part of the meeting. They are where so many friendships and connections start. I am really looking forward to the AADE Celebration on Sunday evening.
- Product Theaters and Corporate Symposia: This is a great way to hear well-known speakers talk about products and present evidence for great diabetes care.
- Exercise: There is a lot of walking every day while at the meeting but I am throwing in my exercise clothes. My friend, Perry, tweeted me a run/walk map near the Convention Center, and there will also be early morning Zumba! So, bring along your exercise clothes and join in.
If you are attending AADE16, safe travels and see you soon. If you can’t go this year, I hope you can next year.
About the Author
Karen Kemmis is a physical therapist, exercise physiologist, certified diabetes educator, and also holds certifications in Pilates for rehabilitation and exercise for aging adults. She is based out of SUNY Upstate Medical University in Syracuse, NY and splits her time between a Joslin Diabetes Center affiliate, an outpatient rehabilitation department, and a PT program where she is an adjunct professor.