Association of Diabetes Care & Education Specialists


Education & CE Opportunities

Guidance for Becoming a Diabetes Care and Education Specialist

How do I become a diabetes care and education specialist?

One must be a healthcare professional who has a defined role as a diabetes care and education specialist, not for those who may perform some diabetes related functions as part of or in the course of other usual and customary duties.

Practice as a diabetes care and education specialist means you are actively employed for compensation, providing a direct or indirect professional contribution to the care and self-management education of people with diabetes.

Diabetes care and education, also referred to as diabetes self-management education or diabetes self-management training, is performed by healthcare professionals who have appropriate credentials and experience consistent with the particular profession's scope of practice. Diabetes self-management education is defined as the interactive, collaborative, ongoing process involving the person with diabetes or prediabetes and/or the caregivers and the specialist(s). The process includes:

  • Assessment of the individual's specific education needs
  • Identification of the individual's specific diabetes self-management goals
  • Education and behavioral intervention directed toward helping the individual achieve identified self-management goals
  • Evaluation(s) of the individual's attainment of identified self-management goals
  • Proper documentation of all education encounters

Diabetes care and education specialists can be found in a variety of settings: hospitals, physician offices, clinics, home health, wellness programs, to name a few. They most often work within accredited or recognized diabetes education programs. This means that the diabetes care and education program has met requirements set forth by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services and can bill for diabetes self-management training through two different codes: G0108 and G0109, which are for individual and group diabetes care and education.

View practice documents related to diabetes education.

After working in the field for a few years, many diabetes care and education specialist choose to pursue the certified diabetes care and education specialist (CDCES) credential. Some diabetes care and education specialist with masters degrees even consider applying for the Board Certified- Advanced Diabetes Management (BC-ADM®) credential. Learn more about the requirements for these credentials.


In This Section